You need to login or register
to contribute to this forum
All types of phones, whether they be mobile, office or domestic use.
 Back to discussion list | Note : only members of this forum can post new messages
Started by
Posted Jan 7, 2004
At 22:50
Handspring Treo 600 - sense at last!

Have a look at the Expansys page describing the unit Treo 600 - it is the thing dreams are made of!

I wangled a loan for several days (shame it is only available on Orange - I am a long-term Vodafone customer and happy with their service) and played with it.  Orange have exclusivity on it for a 6-month period.  Maybe I can get a SIM-free unit from Expansys or from the USA.

It is a Palm OS device and so I don't have to change my sync, my style, my input (all good so far) and it has a proper mic and speaker - no stupid dangly bit of string (gets better) and it is only 11.2 x 6.0 x 2.2 cm in size (smaller than the XDA)

Colin Allison (currently working with a Sony Ericsson t68i and a Palm Zire to pick up email)

Replies to this discussion Total Responses:2
Posted Jan 8, 2004
At 12:43
Handspring Treo 600 - sense at last!(Reply 1)

as an all in one device it is a great bit of kit.

would be nice to have a slighltly bigger version so to be of a PDA/Phone as opposed to a Phone/PDA
Posted Jan 10, 2004
At 22:07
Try the i-mate which is SIM free version of XDA Mk2(Reply 2)

I have been looking for a  large screen PDA with built in phone for over a year, and the only one i have found that is any good is the i-mate (02's XDA Mk2) in its original manufacturers brand, also known as a Qtek Phone.

I live on a boat in the middle of nowhere with no telephone let alone broadband, and on the basis i run a telecoms company offering Virtual PBX and Virtual Call Centre services i need to have internet/email access from home so purchased a Sierra Option Globetrotter PCMCIA card with a Vodofone GPRS contract.

The Vodafone Contract has problems in that its signal is poor and my company can now offer satellite broadband to people like me with a mini dish/receiver but no satellite operator in the world will accept a ping via the Vodafone GPRS network for some reason??

In order to get a reasonable signal with the Vodafone GPRS card i had to spend over 200 on ariels and a small ariel mast (27ft telescopic), therefore i am planning to change over to a SIM free (dont like being held to ransom) i-mate 256mb, with a dual sim card adaptor to use my existing T-mobile (Max signal where i live) number and sign up for a seperate 02 GPRS contract as the satellites will accept a ping from an 02 (BT) connection, i will then be able to surf the net and collect email via i-mate and/or my laptop via a USB cable connection.

The i-mate uses Windows Pocket PC Ver2 operating system, and comes with Outlook 2002, and mini Word, Excel, etc, and everything to get started as far as i aware, if anybody has any further info on the i-mate that i dont know about, please get in touch as 600 for sim free is an expensive mistake to make?

If any body wants further information on using GPRS for internet/email access as it aint as simple as Vodafone or anybody would lead you to believe, just get in touch via this site or by email

Alex Simmons

Only members can contribute

You have to be logged into the site before you can participate in the disussion.

Member login

Welcome back to GadgetSpeak.

Not a member? Why not join?

lost password?